Ping pong is a highly deceptive game. Why I say this is because it may look very simple and straightforward, but the intricacies of the game are what sets it apart from other games. The little attention to rules and details is what makes the game so difficult to gain complete mastery over it. So questions like “How can you lose on serve in ping pong?” and “Do you always have to serve diagonally in ping pong?” are very common. The objective of this article is to tackle some of these questions head first so that you can go ahead and master this game without any problems.
Let’s start off with some basic rules about serving the ball in a game of ping pong–
The first most important thing about serving in ping pong is that the ball must always be thrown in an open palm because this prevents you from throwing it up with a spin. When the ball is thrown, you have to throw it up vertically, at least 16cm high. This is done so that you can’t surprise your opponent. The ball must be served above and behind the ping pong table.
So how can you lose on serve in ping pong?
This is very probable. All that you have to do to lose on a server is failing to put the ball on the ping pong table legally. Here are some of the points you should keep in mind if you want to avoid losing a point on a serve –
- Do not miss the ball when you toss it in the air
- Do not hit the ball in forbidden places. The places where balls should not is behind the end of the table and the extension of the table.
- Make sure that the toss before you hit the ball is high enough. The ball should be at least 16cm high before you hit it with your paddle
- Do not hit the ball when it is ascending in height
- Make sure the ball lands only on your side of the table before bouncing off so that your opponent can hit it.
- Make sure the ball lands on the other side of the table after it had initially bounced on your end.
Other moves which make you lose a point –
- If a legal serve is missed
- If a legal serve is not returned
- If a shot when returned hits into the net
- A shot misses without even touching the table
- If a player moves the table, touches the table or the net.
These rules are important to know if you are a beginner or a professional. You never know when they might come in handy. It’s better to be prepared at all times. While questions like “How can you lose on serve in ping pong” might seem very trivial, it is better to be aware rather than be completely in the dark about these matters, in my opinion.